I am a head and neck cancer surgeon in the department of Head and Neck Surgery/Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. My specialties include treating cancers of the head and neck (oral, throat/pharyngeal, laryngeal, sinus, skull base, thyroid and parathyroid, skin cancer of the head and neck), reconstruction of head and neck defects (free flap surgery) and transoral robotic surgery (TORS) using the daVinci robot.
I completed a residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at West Virginia University where I was able to help treat numerous patients with head and neck cancer. It was this exposure that ultimately influenced my decision to be a head and neck cancer surgeon. Because of my desire to treat patients with head and neck cancer, I completed a fellowship (subspecialty training) in Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery and Microvascular Reconstruction at the Ohio State University.
At Roswell Park, I am fortunate to be able to work with a great team of physicians and staff to help you in your battle with cancer. Because we work as a team, we will come up with the best treatment plan for your specific situation, whether that involves surgery or non-surgical options.
- Current state and future of photodynamic therapy for the treatment of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Christina Mimikos, Gal Shafirstein, Hassan Arshad. World Journal of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, June 2016:126-129.
- Intensive care unit versus non-intensive care unit postoperative management of head and neck free flaps: Comparative effectiveness and cost comparisons. Arshad H, Ozer H, Thatcher A, Old M, Ozer E, Agarwal A, Jafari H, Birkheimer D, Basinger H, Forest LA, Schuller DE, Teknos TN. Head Neck. 2014 Apr;36(4):536-9.
- Survival Differences between Organ Preservation Surgery and Definitive Radiotherapy in Early Supraglottic Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Arshad H, Jayaprakash V, Gupta V, Cohan DM, Dildeep A, Rigual NR, Singh AK, Hicks WL. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2014 Feb;150(2):237-44.
- Transoral robotic resection of selected parapharyngeal space tumors. Arshad H, Durmus K, Ozer E. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 May;270(5):1737-40.
- Gupta V, Cohan DM, Arshad H, Kuriakose MA, Hicks WL Jr. Palatal reconstruction. Current opinion in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery 2012; 204:225-230